The Federal Holding and Investment Company was created on 1 November 2006 as a result of a merger between the Federal Participation Company and the Federal Investment Company.

The federal government is the sole shareholder of the Federal Holding and Investment Company.

The Federal Holding and Investment Company (SFPI-FPIM) centrally manages the federal government’s shareholdings, cooperates with the government on specific projects and pursues its own investment policy in the interests of the Belgian economy.

The core business of the SFPI-FPIM, on the one hand as an investment company and on the other hand as a holding company, is as follows:

  • investing in companies with an attractive social value in one of the priority sectors, which the SFPI-FPIM has set itself as an objective;
  • acquiring equity in companies that are of strategic importance as far as federal policy is concerned, either making use of their own funds or by using funds that the State provides per project. In the latter case, the SFPI-FPIM acts “on a delegated assignment”.

For the 2020 business year, the partitioning of the different segments has led to the following results:

investment company 759 million €
holding company 1.197 million €
delegated assignments 14 billion €

The SFPI-FPIM participates in several priority sectors, which it has brought forward since the 2006 merger. In 2020, the sectorial distribution (leaving aside the delegated assignment) was as follows (in % and in million EUR):

In total, the main investment sectors, as defined in the SFPI-FPIM's 2025 strategy, represent 81.4% of the value of the portfolio. The remaining 18.6% is on the one hand (8.5%) related to the real estate sector, which as such no longer constitutes a strategic sector. On the other hand 4.14 % consists of investments in multi-sector funds that we cannot categorize within one sector and 5.97 % of historical participations, the most important of which is the National Lottery (2.79 %), Certi-Fed (1, 78%) and the Center for Fine Arts (0.59%).

The portfolio of financial assets reached a value of EUR 1.956 million on 31/12/2020 and is spread over 132 securities groups.